Entrepreneurial Licensed Mental Health Counselor with proven ability to produce exceptional outcomes. Combination of business skills, counseling savvy and history in social work will yield outstanding results.
Owner, Susan Hall Counseling, 2000 — present
- Built private practice with attention to sound business practices while providing ethical and effective client care. Reached full capacity of 26 counseling hours/week in under a year serving persons with Personality Disorders, Adjustment Disorders, relational difficulties, ADHD and Mood and Anxiety Disorders.
- Facilitated much-loved weekly therapy groups for women in menopause (ran 5+ years) and general therapy (ran 3+ years).
- Engage in supervision, case consultation, personal counseling and continuing education in the interest of delivering creative and resourceful counseling services to the individuals and groups in my caseload.
- Utilize the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual to accurately diagnose patients. Acquire clients’ goals and objectives before proceeding with treatment planning and multi-modal interventions. Collaborate with patients’ other care providers as necessary for efficiency in the provision of care. Actively reflect with patients on their progress and any barriers to their actualization.
- Maintain documentation and records according to HIPAA regulations and professional ethical standards.
- Provide detailed super bills monthly to patients for insurance reimbursement and record keeping.
- Research interventions most applicable to patients’ distress including treatment for phobias, complicated grief, avoidance tendencies, etc. Employ a variety of treatment strategies and protocols including Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Feminist Psychotherapy and Existential Therapy, among others.
- Deliver warm and supportive Clinical Supervision to practitioners who are new in the field. Assist in practice building skills and business development strategies. Instruct on typical problems in young practices including client retention, routine payment for services, suicidality and methods for deep characterological work. Guide clinicians through diagnosing clients, ethical dilemmas and personal intrusions, including countertransference. Review documentation and paperwork in fulfillment of requirements for licensing with the Department of Health.
Owner, Susan Hall Properties, 2004 — present
- Established Greenlake Counseling Services in 2004 to provide communal office space for private counseling practitioners. The tenants were moved to the University District in 2019 when the original building was demolished. The suite has 19 offices and a large classroom for DBT groups.
- Opened a second counseling community in Lower Queen Anne in 2009, where nineteen offices service seasoned practitioners and professionals with a conference room available to all for group therapy and training endeavors.
- Opened a third counseling community in Lower Queen Anne in 2017, where 13 tenants enjoy collaboration and case consultations in an executive office space.
Clinical Director, Seattle Therapy Alliance, July 2017-July 2019
- Responsible for the hiring and management of the Clinical Supervisory team, including LMHC, LMFT, and MSW Supervisors who oversee the direct client contact by student interns and graduate externs.
- Provide supervision to in/externs when Clinical Supervisors are unavailable and offer on-site support
- Facilitate paperwork and communications with academic institutions ensuring students’ satisfactory achievement of Internship-related graduation requirements.
- Conduct Orientation and twice-monthly group Clinical Trainings for all in/externs in topical categories as well as treatment modalities.
Co-Founder, Director of Administration & Recruitment, Seattle Therapy Alliance, 2009 — 2014
- Co-founded the unique low-cost counseling center as a training organization for counseling interns.
- Oversaw all administrative tasks related to the functioning of the clinic including budgets, marketing, regulatory compliance, Policies & Procedures, relationships with graduate counseling program faculty and staff, and intern performance reviews.
- Managed interns in their administrative duties and collaborated with them to ensure institutional health.
- Provided monthly group supervision with lectures on topics related to feminist psychotherapy and critical social theory/cultural sensitivity.
Independent Contractor, The Children of the Nile (TCON), July, 2012 —September 2012
- Conducted an in-country feasibility study for the development of a trauma counseling center for former child soldiers in Northern Uganda.
- Advised the U.S.-based staff on the legal structure of the organization and the barriers to the formation of the center.
- Offered strategic recommendations for the development of the program.
Director of Admissions, The Seattle School for Theology & Psychology, 2000 — 2002
- Recruited qualified applicants by securing new leads and developing the relationships via phone and in-person meetings. Facilitated follow-ups at regular intervals.
- Conducted all activities according to accreditation and institutional standards.
- Designed and implemented inventive campus visit weekends.
- Launched new local and national marketing endeavors for the school.
- Scheduled and conducted interviews of all applicants.
- Assembled accurate files for each enrollee according to strict accreditation standards.
- Instituted the use of new technology for tracking recruits from initial contact through matriculation and graduation.
- Matriculated record numbers of applicants to the counseling program in 2002.
Adjunct Faculty, The Seattle School for Theology & Psychology, 2000 — 2001
- Selected by Counseling Faculty for the prestigious postgraduate internship.
- Facilitated individual and group counseling for first-year graduate counseling students promoting the development of their personal mental health while modeling a variety of counseling modalities and skills.
- Provided semi-annual assessments of each student’s clinical skills and preparedness for entering the field.
- Maintained documentation according to ethical and legal standards.
Event Coordinator, The Mars Hill Review, 2000 — 2002
- Produced a variety of seminar events around the country for the President and faculty of The Seattle School for Theology & Psychology.
- Oversaw budgets, marketing, participant registration, venue acquisition, workbook creation, travel arrangements and event reviews.
- Designed and implemented an innovative daylong cultural immersion experience for 350 attendees at the Seattle Out of the Christian Ghetto
Co-Founder & Executive Director, Dove Harbor, 1992 — 1998
- Co-Founded the non-profit transitional housing program for women and children where I utilized my innate business skills along with my social work training to provide housing and support services to twelve families at a time.
- Served as Overnight Supervisor (a live-in position) for one year. Delivered direct client services facilitating transportation, meal planning, childcare, conflict resolution, crisis management and disciplinary functions.
- Transitioned to Executive Director in the second year and masterminded the development of policies & procedures for the staff and the households, guidelines for human resources, budget and fundraising initiatives and the creative implementation of client care. Forged relationships in the community for the support of the program and the clients’ families.
- Achieved outstanding fundraising outcomes while coordinating charity events, grant proposals, monthly newsletters, and the development of in-kind gifts of vehicles, buildings and supplies. Succeeded in an aggressive campaign to raise $270,000 in six months for the remodel and move into a donated 30,000 sq. ft. building.
- Supervised weekly case management meetings with staff where we collaborated on treatment planning, crisis intervention and resource mapping for all clients. Reviewed new intakes and strategically planned client transitions to permanent housing.
- Managed shelter staff including hiring and training, internal communications, duty assignments and annual reviews.
- Oversaw the development of psycho-educational programming for adults and children. Booked instructors for weekly groups on money management, boundaries, safe relationships, etc. for adults while children went through curriculum on safe touch and play therapy.
- San Francisco Theological Seminary, San Anselmo, CA — Doctorate of Ministry in InternationalFeminist Theology, 2008
- The Seattle School for Theology and Psychology, Seattle, WA — Master of Arts in Counseling, 2000
- Alexandria School for Scientific Therapeutics, Alexandria, IN — Certificate in Pfrimmer Deep Muscle Therapy, 1995
- Anderson University, Anderson IN — Bachelors in Social Work, 1991
Licensure & Certifications
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Washington State — 2004-present
- Qualified Clinical Supervisor in Washington State — 2007-present
- Accredited Continuing Education Provider by the National Board for Certified Counselors – 2013-present
- My Journey to Feminism, Christian Feminism Today, January 2009
- Getting a Foot in the Door: Introducing Feminist Theologies to Evangelical Women in the U.S Through Bible Study Literature, Dissertation Project, December 2007
- What is the Church? Views from the Edge, April 2006
- The Theology of Domestic Violence, Views from the Edge, January, 2006
- Life and More Life: An Introduction to African Women’s Theology, The Other Journal, August 2005
- Feminist Theology 101, Views from the Edge, April 2005
- An Anguish Transformed: My Use of Buddhist Psychology to Overcome Prolonged Suffering – Invited speaker for the annual Symposium at The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology, 2016
- God May Be With Us, But What Now? — International Forum for Psychoanalytic Education, 2013
- Employing Social Business Models for Sustainability in Mental Health Practices — International Forum for Psychoanalytic Education, 2012
- Living the Dream: How to Start Your Private Practice Seminar — Twice yearly, 2004-2012
- Genesis & Gender — Lecture for Venus Hill, September 2011
- Seeing Gender (lecture series):
- Introduction to Gender: The Basis for Feminist Psychotherapy — Once yearly, 2009-present
- Women & Psychology — Once yearly, 2009-present
- Women & Their Bodies — Once yearly, 2010-present
- Women & Sex — Once yearly, 2010-present
- Women & Money — Once yearly, 2010-present
- Women & God — Once yearly, 2010-present
- Living with Feminist Imagination — Once yearly, 2010-present
- The Archetype of the Wise Woman — daylong retreat
- >Portland, OR, 2005
- Seattle, WA, 2005
- The Enchanted April — seminar
- Indianapolis, IN, 2005
- Seattle, WA, 2004
- Ra’ah: Revealing the Feminine and the Sacred — weekend retreat
- Raleigh-Durham, NC, 2004
- Menosha, WI, 2003
- Seattle, WA, 2002
- Iron Jawed Angels — Seattle, WA 2008
- Out of the Christian Ghetto — Washington, D.C. 2002
- Out of the Christian Ghetto — Seattle, WA 2001
- In His Image — Denver, CO 2000
- Romancing the Heart — Seattle, WA 1999
- Columbia City Stroller Brigade, Group Administrator — 2016-current
- Co-planner Join Me On the Bridge, International Woman’s Day event — March 2012
- Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study, member — 2011-2012
- Evangelical & Ecumenical Women’s Caucus, member — 2009-2010
- Women’s Funding Alliance, volunteer — 2008-2009
- American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, member — 2006-2007
- Seattle Counselor’s Association, member — 2004-2012
- American Association of University Women, member — 2003-2006
- Christians for Biblical Equality, member — 2003-2006
- Doulas of North America, certified doula/member — 1997-1998
- Christian Counseling Center, Board Member — 1997-1998
- His Healing Hands, Board Member — 1997-1998
- Anderson Area Leadership Academy, Graduate — 1996
Additional Activities & Honors
- Featured interviewee — Friday Best Magazine, August, 2015
- Panel contributor for screening of Miss Representation — The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology, 2012
- Interviewed by Jim Lyon for Christians Broadcasting Hope radio show, 1995
- Voted Senior Chapel Speaker — Anderson University, 1991